Elliott Goldstein offers the following consulting services:
1. Seminars - in-house, private, customized training of staff
"Legal Aspects of Video Surveillance: Workplace"
a) Legality of conducting surveillance on employees
- in the workplace theft, assaults, sleeping on the job, etc.
unionized (grievances and arbitration)
non-unionized ("just cause for dismissal")
- outside the workplace malingering, exaggerating disability
abuse of sick leave
abuse of compensation or benefits
- affect of Charter provisions
s. 7 "security of the person"
s. 8 "protection against unreasonable search or seizure"
b) Legality of conducting surveillance on customers
- to deter shoplifting
- to detect, verify, and identify shop thieves
- privacy provisions
c) Steps to remove the "reasonable expectation of privacy"
- posting of signs or notices
- use of written consents to interception examples
- use of waiver clauses in employment contracts examples
2. Risk Assessments to identify areas of potential liability
- assessment of need for video surveillance
- use of video cameras - kind, number and placement
- use in sensitive areas washrooms, locker rooms, change rooms,
- legal liability for inadequate security
- potential liability for "dummy" video cameras
3. Video Production consulting, scripting, reviewing, etc.
- plaintiffs assist in planning "day-in-the-life" videotapes
- producing videotapes of views of accident scenes
- defendants assisting in challenging "day-in-the-life" videos
- advising on the selection of pictures of plaintiffs injuries